Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Date Line

We arrived in Neiafu, in the Kingdom of Tonga yesterday afternoon, and managed to watch the end of the Chiefs-Chargers Monday Night Football game, live ... on Tuesday afternoon. 

Crossing the International Date Line as we sailed from Niue to Tonga was unremarkable; we left on Saturday, sailed on Sunday, and arrived on Tuesday.  Monday disappeared. It got me thinking.

Date Line

I wish I had my own International Date Line
To carry around and use whenever I needed,
To lay down and step across and skip tomorrow
Or perhaps step back and replay yesterday;
So that my little speech about taking it one day at a time
Could be changed somehow with what I know today,
And I could be in the apartment I never meant to visit tomorrow
And be here, saying something else in your kitchen,
And you'd understand everything I meant to say the first time
As if I had said it today, yesterday, and tomorrow.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Nice to think about time. You lost a day when you crossed the international date line, but isn't it nice to know that after another two and a half years you will get that day back.