Sunday, December 12, 2010

Runes

As a result of Jennifer's initial urging and daily inspiration, we are taking advantage of our time in Cairns to work out at the local gym on a daily basis -- cardio on the treadmills and ellipticals, weights, stretching, and more stretching. Sailing does many things for the soul, but, especially on a catamaran, it does not flex the proverbial muscles, nor does it require a lot of stamina. We arrived after 12 months at sea feeling a bit loose around the edges. There's also a swimming pool, so Jennifer gets her 1/2 mile swim in, and she's feeling back in fine form.

We've also had the chance to make a few visits to the doctors and dentists, taking care of some of the routine health matters that accumulate as one drifts across ocean waters and isolated islands. All is well for each of us thankfully, but it did get me thinking about the aging process. As good as I feel, I do notice that I'm getting older in body and -- perhaps I'm wrong here, wiser in mind, as if there was a yin and yang to these two trends. If so, I'm happy for it: perspective, resilience, discernment -- I'm happy trading some creaky joints and loose skin for these traits.

I've tried to capture this below, in a new poem, titled Runes. In it, I tried to have each line read logically as a stand-alone line, even as they connect to form a larger image, the whole being greater than the sum of our parts, as it were.


Runes

This body is starting to leave me
alone I can feel my skin begin to pull away
slowly my muscles sag and discs compress
together these arms and legs will not move
quickly memories accumulate then disappear
into fog they come and go unlike these scars
echoing reminders of accidents and words
hardly taken for granted instead becoming
runes that tell the story of this departing body
recalling oh so many blemishes and mishaps
shedding like compost to fill a garden
savory with the loam of a roughly-tended body
leaving me at peace with what remains.



1 comment:

Aaron said...

At some point we reflect on this inevitable process. While every passing year seems shorter, our eagerness and ability to imbibe the energy of life increases. We might even decide to get in a boat and travel around the world while we still have the time.